All kinds of hepatitis C information



Hepatitis C is difficult to understand, and there are LOTS of "experts" out there who are more than willing to take advantage of the uninformed.  Please feel free to call our National Support Line for more detailed and personal attention related to hepatitis C (number listed above).

The folks who keep the NHCC in operation are unique people. ALL are volunteers who help fund our daily operations, tend to our telephone support lines, attend health fairs, and do just about anything necessary to help the NHCC continue to operate. These folks are required to have extensive and personal hepatitis C experience behind them before speaking to patients or family members about the disease, but this is just so we can make sure that what's shared is honest, trustworthy, and that our reputation remains stellar and accurate as always.

Times are difficult for most folks and money is tight. However, we too have significant expenses just keeping the NHCC in operation, and this is why it's so important that we reach out to good people like yourselves who will help us remain active for the "cause".

Please remember us in your prayers as well as with your financial contributions, and we promise that we'll do our very best to be here when you need us!

The NHCC is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
Financial donation are tax-deductible.


Please Click On The Graphic Above To Go To The PayPal Site!


Hep C Info

News Feeds

Kev's Story

Kev's Regimen



 Member Stories

Event Pics

Memorial Wall

We Need You!

General Health



Our volunteers work diligently to help you understand hep C.




Click on the graphic below for the press release and larger picture:

A discussion with Larry King about her need for kidney transplantation after only 4 mo. of hepatitis C treatments!


Bobby's Story
(by his brother Richard)

bobby.jpg (13657 bytes)

Let me explain what happened to my brother, Bobby. He died 11:35pm Sunday, April 18th, 1999, a victim of Hepatitis C. He lived in upstate NY (Herkimer County) not too far from Utica. He had served at Griffiss Air Force base, Rome, NY from 1976-84 (last year served in South Korea) and after discharge, lived in the area. He had fallen into a coma the Wednesday before and was due at Mt. Sinai here in NY for a liver transplant operation. An operation which was to be expected but would hopefully extend his life at least 10 -15 years, at which time, with advances in medicine, he could have lasted even much longer.

Mt. Sinai had a bed for him on Thursday and then later didn't have one available for him. They did say though that he would have the next bed available. Friday and Saturday still produced no bed for him.  Finally, after many of us calling on his behalf, on Sat. night (4/17), he was scheduled to be at Mt. Sinai at 7am Sunday. A chopper would pick him up, fly him down, and hopefully get his new liver. According to two specialists, two transplants were performed on Saturday, so he was next in line.

When a person gets a liver, they are usually near death. Vital organs crash, kidneys fail, but the new liver fixes everything. With the transplant, he would come out of the coma, his kidneys would restart and vitals would come back to normal. By Saturday evening, my brother had total kidney and liver failure as well as pneumonia in his lungs. They would only take him based on the condition of his heart. His BP was 132/83, clearly very strong and able to make the trip. A bed had finally been made available. So, Saturday night at 11pm, plans were made. I would meet the chopper at 7am, his wife would drive down and meet us later. But, through the night, his BP went down to 60. I was awakened at 5am Sunday and told they would hold the bed until 3:00pm and if his heart bp went up, they would still take him. So, I still had hope.

As the day progressed, it was clear things had not changed. My wife, my mom and I took the 3 hr. drive upstate to his hospital bed and met his wife. We stayed with him for hours and I inquired about disconnecting his respirator. We discussed this with his doctors and at about 11:30 pm all life supports and meds were discontinued. I held his hand until the end. We said prayers around him and, at 11:35pm, he took his last breath. Must be a bad dream, I thought. The shock and sorrow is the fact that he only missed it by a few hours. The hospital didn't have a bed for him for 3 days. We arranged a chopper for him, through my job and finally Mt. Sinai agreed to send their own helicopter for him. In our minds, he was getting a new liver and we would help him recoup. (For years, he was part of clinical trials and every new FDA drug available.) The transplant program works by waiting until the patient is almost near death but, as conditions change in minutes, if he's too sick, they won't waste the liver. This is what happened.

The next day, after funeral arrangements, my mom had a heart attack. She'll be alright. But, she lost her son and recently her husband (bone cancer). Many people have children so I know many can imagine that pain. She's home now. But we are numb and saddened. I'm glad I was there for my brother.
He was 42 years old.



The opinions expressed on this page are solely those of the author and none of the information included is to be misconstrued as medical advise.

 Any issues concerning this website should be addressed  to:

Be sure to include the words "HEP C" in the subject line of your correspondence. Otherwise, it may be deleted unopened due to the extreme problem with spam.

Copyright 1997-2012 National Hepatitis C Coalition, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Last Updated March 20, 2012